Thursday, October 30, 2014

Race Recap: Pleasant Run Run

I've gotten so caught up in life and training that this recap is coming a little late - so I hope I can still remember some details.

Saturday Scott and I ran the Pleasant Run Run in Irvington, a really cute neighborhood a mile southeast of where we live. The weather was perfectly autumnal; high 40's, lots of leaves on the ground, clear skies. We got there early, picked up our race bibs and did a mile or so warm up around down town before heading over to the start line. My expectations for this race were to set a new PR (I knew I'd made speed gains since the 8K in the spring) but I didn't have anything specific in mind. I figured I'd run something below 8:30 pace.

Mile 1 - 7:56
In typical start-of-the-race fashion I went out the first mile pretty fast. They did a very poor job of setting mile markers so when we ran through the mark and heard "5:29!" everyone around me just laughed..... like, "uh... we definitely don't run ANYWHERE near those splits".

Mile 2 - 8:11
The course was a bit undulating so I felt that I lost a little speed going up some hills but overall nothing unbearable.

Mile 3 - 8:00
I did start to feel fatigued around this point. Keeping this pace was good for my 5K, but I still had 2 more miles to go. I went back and forth with a few people around me.

Mile 4 - 8:11
By this point my quads were getting tired of the gradual up-and-down of the course. I was mostly just trying to hold on.

Mile 5 - 8:05 
This mile felt LONG. Never ending. But of course it did. I really felt at my limit crossing the finish but I very quickly recovered my breath after walking for a minute or two. (Scott had finished about 10 minutes prior and ran back to give me some encouraging words in the last stretch - thanks!) 

Official Time - 40:14 (8:03 pace) 

So - another PR! Well ok, this is my first 5 mile race ever. But it beats my 8K from earlier this year by a few minutes so I can't complain! I did a slow run Sunday to loosen up my quads which were SORE and then Scott and I spent a few hours hiking around Brown County State Park. Naturally I was still sore Monday for another slow 4 miler and as much as I tried to take it easy Tuesday I ran 6 miles at 8:45 pace (on the treadmill). My legs still felt sore and dead yesterday so I decided that is IT until Saturday. 

Speaking of, the forecast for Saturday is clear, dry and COLD. Perfect running weather right? The jury is still out on what I will wear, I'm not sure if I'm tough enough to wear shorts in 30 degree weather. But until then it is rest, food, and (mind) relaxation. 

No comments

Post a Comment